Seeing this handmade red and white birdhouse brings back some very fond memories for me.
My grandparents divided their time between a wonderful home in Houston and the Old House, which my grandmother called, "the country."
Grandmother and Pa's next-door neighbors in Houston were a retired Army Colonel, who we called "Colonel," and his wife, Boo, which was short for Beulah. You have never met a more proper Southern couple than Boo and the Colonel.
Here are 10 things I remember about Colonel and Boo...
1) They never had any children of their own.
2) When Boo served us soft drinks, she'd always drop in a plastic piece of ice with a fly in it... much to our delight, of course.
3) Grandmother told us to stay off their grass and never to touch anything in their house.
4) Colonel had a fantastic collection of beer steins from Germany. They were way up high on shelves all over the house.
5) If Boo had a piece of furniture you weren't allowed to sit on, you'd know it, because it would have a piece of string tied across the seat.
6) Boo buzzed around Houston in her mint-condition Volkswagon Bug while her also-mint-condition '65 mustang stayed at home in the garage... I'm telling you, she was fabulous.
7) They had the biggest bottle of Old Granddad on their kitchen counter. It was so large, it sat on a wooden stand that tilted so it could be poured.
8) Boo was homesick for Victoria, Texas.
9) It was a rare honor for a child to be a guest of Colonel and Boo.
10) One day my brother and I spent all day in the Colonel's garage and he helped us build this birdhouse which still sits on a shelf in the Old House...
I'm so glad we held onto this treasure for so many years. I hope the Colonel is looking down from heaven and smiling.
Linking to Make it for Monday, Metamorphasis Monday, Motivate Me Monday, Make Your Monday, Transformation Thursday, Rednesday, Show and Tell Friday, Saturday Night Special