Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I have five beds and two bedrooms...

I am going to show you three of my five beloved antique beds. Please disregard the poor decorating... this is just about the beds.

This first one was where my grandfather slept in the Old House so we call it "Pa's Bed."

The Old House will accommodate one or two beds, three if I push it, so I'm not sure what to do about the extra beds. I mean, I could "squeeze" them all in but it would be a lot of beds in an 1800 square-foot house.

Quite frankly, I've considered not having a living room just to have a place for my beds.

I really love my beds. Does this mean I am a crazy bed lady?

I have WAY too many chairs too so maybe I'm just crazy... but let's save that for another post.

This is a terrible photo of this bed (below). I think this style is called "Jenny Lind," but I'm not sure. Do you know? This was the bed from the guest room in Grandmother's house in Houston.

To get a better idea of what it looks like, it's exactly like this bed from Better Homes and Gardens. I'm even going to paint it white someday.

This four-poster was my Grandmother's bed in Houston. It is now with me in Wyoming... in the shed out back... gasp! It's solid cherry... and in a shed... double gasp! But with two people and seven animals sleeping together, it's just too small. Heck, our king is too small at times. The cherry four-poster needs to find a ride back to Texas... pronto!

I wish I could show you the other two but I don't have photos. One is a very old, very heavy iron bed... Grandmother's bed in the Old House. I painted it charcoal gray... JEEPERS, what was I thinking? It's going back to white, stat...! It looks very similar to this one but it's a double...

The other bed was way up in the top of the old barn my whole life. We were always told it came to Hardin County with the pioneers on a wagon. When we took it down from the rafters, I squealed with delight. It's the most beautiful bed I've ever seen... At least it will be after I paint it white. It has the feel of this bed but it's 10 times better...

Linking to Show and Tell

8 comments:

  1. I love beds too! We just had an old iron bed painted black for our youngest who will be a teenager this year. She wanted a more grown up look. I'll post a picture when we get it back. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure how close to the coast your Old house is..they are predicting a summer like 2005 for hurricanes..I hope the old house will be safe.
    Your stuff is beautiful!! Just be careful..My daughters husbands grandmothers home..sitting on 200 acres in Shiner..was empty of anyone living there..constant caretakers..Long time friend leasing the ranch..someone..broke in and stole all the antiques..including screens..elct. appliances..light fixtures..brick-brack on the porch..and of course furniture and collectibles.The house had been built in 1887. The sheriff said they were breaking into homes like this..they get their info off of blogs..tax info..obituaries..ect..It looked by the tire tracks of a Huge u-haul truck.Just be careful!!

    Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of your beds. Yes, that is a spool bed also known as a Jenny Lind bed. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A sweet hello from Frog Hollow Farm. What beautiful beds, and I know what you mean about wanting to fit them all in your home. How about using them seasonally, having a 'winter', 'spring', 'summer' and/or 'fall' bed? Sounds a bit crazy maybe??? Ciao, bella!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have some beds similar to those in my old Texas home! Yours are great! Lezlee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the beds. Interesting post. I have an iron bed similar to the picture in twin size. I have decided that when I move into the renovation house, I'm putting all twin beds into the bedrooms, except for mine. The bedding is less expensive, but it seems all are more comfortable if they have a bed of their own.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful beds! My somewhat heirloom bed was stolen from a Uhaul in the 70s in Houston... lots of people lost their belongings that way, then. I know you have lots of people watching over your house. I have the room, wish I had the antiques!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmm, may be you will have to have some porch beds!

    ReplyDelete