Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Old House is in a new book...

I'm very excited about a wonderful book that just came out. I spent all last week reading it on my lunch hour.

This big, beautiful work is chock-full of historic photos from Hardin County, Texas. That's where I grew up and I'm a descendant of some of the Big Thicket pioneers.

Pines in the Big Thicket

Renee Hart Wells compiled these photos into a book for the Hardin County Genealogical Society. She put in so much time, effort and work into this project. This great work in historic preservation is a wonderful gift to all Texans, not just those with Hardin County roots.

The Old House is pictured on page 281 (bottom photo). The top photo is the darling old home of a relative, Ruby Herrington, which is now owned by John and Lisa Ferguson.

At the time this book was being produced, Renee didn't know about my family's historic photos. She's hoping to include them in another book in the future. Fingers crossed!

My grandfather, who was born in 1898, with his dogs, "Rock" and "Rye."

In November, Renee spent two days at the Old House scanning photos. I am very grateful for her efforts. You can see them here on Facebook.

The Old House

I found a few surprises in the book. One of my favorites is this photo of my namesake, Necel Herrington, and the Class of 1906. What a treat!

Aunt Necel is seated, third from left, on the front row

To order a copy for yourself, send $50, plus $6 S&H to the Hardin County Genealogical Society, PO Box 383, Kountze, Texas, 77625. The group is non-profit. Be sure to include your mailing address.

1 comment:

  1. Wow... what an honor to have family and photos published! That must be exciting for your whole family.

    ReplyDelete